Picture Perfect:
Reading Response
This week, I went head first into
one of my favorite books that I haven't read in years; Picture Perfect by Jodi
Picoult. First of all, Jodi Picoult is by far my favorite author. Her writing
style sends a clear message but is unique because she usually writes from the
perspectives of all her characters that she introduces. The author writes from
the point of view of the main characters in different times during their lifetime.
It’s quite cleaver, in fact because Picoult unwinds the story piece by piece
until the whole thing unravels in the end. Some endings are peaceful and leave
the reader feeling content; other stories are filled with passion of rage how
she ended the book so poorly. In either case, Picoult definitely leaves the
reader filled with raw emotions.
Picture Perfect starts off with an
old Native American tale about a man (Strong Wind) who was loved in his village
by all. His skill as a fighter made all the women fall madly in love with him,
doing anything it would take to get his attention. He said that he would marry
the first maiden to see him come home at night. There was a lovely girl who was
the youngest of three who was so beautiful that her sisters tried to mask her
physical beauty. Strong Wind and the girl got married because she admitted to
not seeing him, but he revealed himself to her. I believe that this is an
extremely important part of the book. Not only is it setting up the story for
the reader, but it is foreshadowing what is going to happen in the story.
The novel starts off with a girl
who wakes up in a cemetery not knowing how she got there or how she got the
blood on her head. We are introduced to a character named William Flying Horse,
a Native American man. His car breaks down along the side of the road and he
gets out in frustration. Then the woman, Cassie, walks towards him and says, “Not
you too” and then passes out. They end up going to the police station and turning
her in as a missing person, due to her amnesia. Sadly, the police cannot make
it a report because she hasn’t been lost for over 24 hours; the police do know,
however that Cassie is married. Cassie forms a relationship with Will and she
stays in his new apartment for three days. During this time, she sees all of
Will’s unopened boxes and decides it would be a nice gesture to unpack the
boxes in the living room so he can be more settled in. Will does not give the
reaction she was expecting. Instead of being appreciative of what she has done,
he exploded and took her down to the police station. A few hours later, down at
the station, a Mr. Rivers comes through the door. As it turns out, Cassie is
married to a hot shot star named Alex Rivers. He captures the attention of
everyone he passes, including Cassie. She can’t wrap her mind around the fact
that she’s married to him and she definitely cannot get used to this lifestyle.
The reader sees a blend of the past and the present through the eyes of Will,
Alex Rivers and Cassie. I am excited to continue reading, it’s like I can’t set
it down because I have so many emotions; for the characters, for the setting,
and for what I know is going to happen.
I loved jodi's book "My Sisters Keeper". It definitely left me with raw emotions when I finished it.Ill have to read more of her books because she's a talented author. This one sounds interesting:)
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Gawsh Katie, you would LOVE it. I'll give it to you ASAP when I'm done reading it. Love youuuuu <3
ReplyDelete