For so long when I was asked that question I didn't know how to choose just one. Now, I know that I am not limited to one passion, but defined by all the passions that I do have. If I didn't have to worry about money, I think I would love to participate in something where I could make a difference and be somewhere where I can show the light of Christ to others around me. What I want is to be more Christ-like; He tells us that if we are followers of Him that our hopes and dreams should be what His are. I don't know what those are yet, but I am sure that one day I will know. Right now though, I feel like I am already doing something with my passion for kids. I get to tutor over at Mark Twain Elementary and help/serve youngsters all the time. I get to read with them, work on projects together, and just talk to them. In a way, I feel like I am already making a difference by being with them and helping to build them up; but more than that, I feel like they are changing me.
Each day brings a new experience and a new challenge. Sometimes I have to be a detective and figure out who stole so-and-so's gummy worms. Other days I have to be a mom and let them cry on my shoulder. Most of all I have to love them everyday. Not everyone has things at home as nice as I do. I am starting to see that some of the kids have more strength in them than I ever will; even though the kid is as strong as steel, he/she is still oh so weak. The kids force me to be silly and show that they won't judge me for being crazy and fun; all they want to do is have fun with you too. My class inspires me everyday to have more patience and be a better me. If I didn't have this passion, I wouldn't strive to be better; I do have this passion and each day it teaches me something new about myself.
Those Mark Twain students are so lucky to have you! I'll bet you make a huge difference in their lives. Good for you! I love how you say that they are changing you!
ReplyDeleteWhat did you think of the winners of the TOMS foundation contest?
I *love* how you said your kids are changing you. And how you just need to love them in any way you can, and how that changes depending on the day. <3 Love you!
ReplyDeleteI really really liked how you said you feel like they are changing you. I tutored at mark twain for a little bit, but I had to quit because I wrecked my car, but I could actually see inside of the kids and their feelings seeing as the way they act and how they responded to me, like if they were really open, or quiet and not willing to share.
ReplyDeleteI think your post is great. I agree with so much that you said! My favorite part is that you said, "I am not limited to one passion, but defined by all the passions that I do have." I have felt the same way. When we were given our next writing project, I struggled to pick one single passion. And I still am debating between two at this moment! Thanks for your post! I love it!
ReplyDeleteLike Katie, I loved how you said the children are changing you! I can tell that you feel very strongly about what you're doing, and that's great!
ReplyDelete